Here’s the latest in Corinthian-related scholarship published, presented, or released online in February. These 13 articles, books, and studies represent about 7% of ca 175 studies that triggered Google Scholar alerts last month. There are many, many “false positives” that have little to do with ancient or medieval Corinth, or make only passing and insignificant remarks about Corinth.
- Fleck, Robert K., and F. Andrew Hanssen. “How Tyranny Paved the Way to Wealth and Democracy: The Democratic Transition in Ancient Greece.” (Paper presented February 2012). http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rghammon/workshop.html
- Donohue, A. A, and A. A. Donohue. “Interpreting Women in Archaic and Classical Greek Sculpture.” In A Companion to Women in the Ancient World, 167–178. Wiley‐Blackwell, 2012. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9781444355024.ch12/summary .
- Concerning Demaratus: Shepherd, Gillian, and Gillian Shepherd. “Women in Magna Graecia.” In A Companion to Women in the Ancient World, 215–228. Wiley‐Blackwell, n.d. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9781444355024.ch16/summary .
- Tilley, Alec. “Some Recent Publications on Ancient Warships.” International Journal of Nautical Archaeology 41, no. 1 (March 1, 2012): 194–197. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1095-9270.2011.00335.x/full
Roman and Late Antique
- Presumably concerning the canal and Roman centuriation: Stiros, S C. “Levelling in Antiquity: Instrumentation, Techniques and Accuracies,” Survey Review 44, no. 324 (January 1, 2012): 45–52.
- Ibita, Ma. Marilou. “‘If Anyone Is Hungry, Let Him/Her Eat In the House’ A Narrative-Critical and Socio-Historical Study of the Lord’s Supper in Corinth (1 Cor 11:17-34)”, February 1, 2012. https://lirias.kuleuven.be/handle/123456789/337769. (Ph.D. dissertation in progress)
- Gray, Patrick. Opening Paul’s Letters: A Reader’s Guide to Genre and Interpretation. Baker Books, 2012.
- Kraemer, Ross S, and Ross S. Kraemer. “Becoming Christian.” In A Companion to Women in the Ancient World, 524–538. Wiley‐Blackwell, Feb 2012. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9781444355024.ch39/summary
- IVP has begun to promote Ben Witherington III’s fictional work, A Week in the Life of Corinth (forthcoming May 2012). Excerpts here, book content here.
- Swearingen, C. Jan. “Precreation Narratives in the Wisdom of Solomon: Genealogy, Gender, and Genre.” Religion & Theology 18 (2012): 1–19. http://www.rhetoricafrica.co.za/PDF/RT_018_03-04_04-Swearingen.pdfn
- Stegman, Thomas D. “Reading in 2 Corinthians 2:9 as an Epistolary Aorist.” Novum Testamentum 54, no. 1 (2012): 50–67. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/brill/not/2012/00000054/00000001/art00005
- Review of Yung Suk Kim’s Christ’s Body in Corinth: The Politics of a Metaphor (2008):
- Karymbalis, Efthimios, Petros Katsafados, Christos Chalkias, and Kaliopi Gaki-Papanastassiou. “An Integrated Study for the Evaluation of Natural and Anthropogenic Causes of Flooding in Small Catchments Based on Geomorphological and Meteorological Data and Modeling Techniques: The Case of the Xerias Torrent (Corinth, Greece).” Zeitschrift Für Geomorphologie, Supplementary Issues 56, no. 1 (2012): 45–67.